Thursday, July 2, 2009

Part One of many Parts

Well what discoveries I have made and more to come. I’ve found out since my wee jaunt to the south east coast that the UK has much to offer and a history to go with it. My natural draw to see the ocean has open up many traveling options. But one to mind is something I did in my early 20s when I would spend countless days on the roads of the South Island, NZ. This freedom so to speak, away from the hustle and bustle of work and city life. A time to reflect and become submersed into the land, history and culture “This is what I will do this is my purpose”. That’s why I’m here. It wasn’t apparent until I met a couple walking the opposite on the trail from Deal to Dover. It is then I asked what is this walk about. It is the trail of the Saxons “The Saxon Shore Way” they replied. Walking now with that in mind wondering that over a thousand years ago the Saxons once walked this way. My mind has the classic image of a Saxon helmet upon my head. Asking questions also about my heritage my ancestors who ever they may be. Could they be once a Saxon or encountered a Saxon on the battle field.

Two days after that walk back to history I decided on another sunny spring morn to go to Hastings. On the train I past a place called Battle and it all clicked. Battle, Hastings “oh yes” The Battle of Hastings. Once again I am transported back in time, this time to 1066 of William the Conqueror. I must visit Battle on the way home.

Hastings, white washed buildings reflecting the ocean just like Dover. What a beautiful escape once again. After a walk around and a visit to the Museum and Art Gallery, which I must say houses a wonderful collections of all sorts of things from around the world including a room that was so elaborately carved by Indians. I headed to a Castle Ruin on the hill. Hastings Castle, Britain’s first Norman Castle built by William the Conqueror. Well here I am being transported back in time imagining what this place may have looked like and I say it must have been amazing. I then headed down the other side into Old Hastings and discovered many antiques shops and many very old dwellings.

Old habits die hard but I may never let this die. A second hand book shop appeared in front of me next thing I know is that I was inside searching the shelves. To my surprise I found what I was looking for “History of the Saxons”. My new companion for my transportation back a thousand years or so. I also spied a Spike Milligan book one that I had when a child I chuckled to myself a mention this upon the store keeper who is a rough looking character possibly shaped by the sea himself. A coastal beast which I can sense had a heart of gold. He replied that he meet Spike Milligan many years back when he was living in these parts. Wow! you just never know what to expect in this land. Of I went with my new companions the Saxons and the Normans of course, three books actually couldn’t help myself. Off I went of to Battle.

Once on the train armed with my Red Saxon I began to thumb the pages a discovered that it wont be until the end of this saga I will get to William the Conqueror and his battle in Hastings. I sat back imagining if this was the trail or near by he and his army took to take on King Harold. The little town of Battle just a quick walk away from the station you come across the Abbey Gate which beyond its walls houses once again ancient architecture and the battle field. Armed with the audio gadget I head for the circuit around the battle field. Transported within my imagination through the sounds of the battle you could sense the power of 1066 and somewhat feel a presence of the soles lost on the eventful day.

I leave knowingly and head back to the station. Transfixed and focused I began to read “The Fall of the Saxon England” by Richard Humble. Or I will now call my Red Saxon.

No comments:

Post a Comment